Wednesday, February 15, 2017

3 Things We Do Better Before A Break

3 Things We Do Better Before A Break
Like most people, I love holidays. But I've started to notice something about the pre-holiday ritual that is both positive and concerning. If you're anything like me why is it we do some things really well, in fact the best we ever do them, in the lead up to our departure? And when we return, why do we revert to our old ways?
For years I'd noticed the obvious: Everyone gets very busy leading up to taking a break. I assumed it was just the extra busyness of getting ready to go away plus the fact we want to get some things tied away so we don't get disturbed.
It is of course these things but more recently I've come to see there's more to it. In our quest to get away and have an interruption-free vacation, I suspect we do three things better and with more intent than at any other time in our working year.
First, we complete more. We simply want to get things -- usually annoying little things that have hung around too long -- closed out. We make sharper decisions and are much more willing to make sensible compromises to get minor tasks completed. It's like having an artificial deadline creates the impetus to decide.
Second, we communicate more. Because want to minimise disruptions while away we involve our colleagues more in what we are doing. Much more. We have to delegate more and we do it more thoroughly than we would if we were going to be in the office.
Third, we consider contingencies much more carefully. We probably plan a few further steps ahead than we would if we were going to be at work. We empower those around us with these plans.
It's occurred to me that I should be more like my 'pre-holiday self' all the time. Because, vacation or not, my business and team will greatly benefit from more things being completed; better communication and the empowerment that comes from a greater consideration of contingencies. Shouldn't all three of these qualities be ever-present?
I'll be going away next week for a two-week break. I will prepare in the lead up as I have done for years. My challenge when I return will be to keep doing those same things, the same way, with the same intent as I did preparing for the break. Because its better for business, better for my team and it's probably a better me.

No comments: